Thursday, May 1, 2014

Early Tuttle's in England before great migration.

I guess its easiest to start from the farthest back I have traced. William Totehyll was born in 1462. He is my direct ancestor (my 16th gr-grandfather). He was born in somewhere in Staffordshire, England. I have found a "Tutle" listed in a parish record dated in 1311, but could not confirm his lineage. Many people start their tree of with William Tuttle (1607-1673). William of 1462, was the 4th gr-grandfather of William of 1607.
This may help some who's trees end at William 1607.

(William 1607, Symon 1560, Richard 1530, Thomas 1506, Humphrey1482, William 1462)

Before the Tuttle's left for the New World, they were in a small town called Ringstead, in Northhamptonshire. They seemed to be there for at least a couple generations. The town currently has a population of less than 1500.




                Some interesting notes, Humphrey had two sons. One was Thomas (1506) and the other was William (1500).I descend from Thomas. My ancestors were heavily concentrated in Connecticut, and Massachusetts in the early 1600's. The line that descends from William crossed paths with my line in Salem Mass in the 1640's. One of William's descendents (John Tuttle 1618) was shipwrecked on the coast of Maine and ended up settling in New Hampshire. John was heading for Salem, eventually made it, but decided he wouldn't stay long. John moved to NH, started farming, and owned the Tuttle Farm which was passed down for 375 years! I often wonder if my different lines knew of each other.


6 comments:

  1. Hi there, My name is Jon Abbott, I run the heritage group in the village of Ringstead UK, and Interested in the Tuttle family history from when they were in the village many moons ago, although on my fb group page there seems to be a tuttle family recently joined but is there a contact email we can talk on ? my email is ringsteadheritage@gmail.com or my own is jonabbott44@hotmail.com hope to talk soon, thanks Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother maiden name is Tuttle. William Tuttle 1462 is my 14th great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Cathy could a branch of the Tuttles had moved from Ringstead to Staffordshire ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. William totehyll(Tuttle) son Humphrey was born in staffordshire. I don't have proof though. I've gotten the info from other trees. Then it went to woodford, then thrapson, then LT Symon Tittle born in 1560 in ringstead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the only building here now what would had been then is the Church, I've looked at all the really old Gravestones there's only one i can just about make out the family name.If you click this link you will see it on the site i made for the village.http://www.ringsteadheritage.com/ringstead-churches.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am from the william line. The Elizabeth that never has a last name in the tree's had a baby out of wedlock with my mother's descendant

    ReplyDelete